Friday, January 4, 2013

OPT Athlete Camp Day 1

   Well day 1 is down and I have nothing but great things to say about what just went down. The day started off with a little bit of house keeping stuff and then we dove in.

Task 1:
8 minutes to find 1 Rep Max Power Clean
Rest 2 min
8 min Max Rep Power Clean at 90% 1 Rep Max

  This was a fun test of absolute strength (with some technical aspects) followed by a test of Creatine Phosphate utilization and efficiency for repeat efforts (AKA CP Battery). This was follow by an awesome explanation of why this is important in the Sport of Fitness and how to improve if you are lacking in this area. Needless to say my notebook was filled after this discussion. I was finally able to Power Clean 275# which was nice (even though it looked like shit) and knocked out 15 reps in 8 minutes at 90% (245#). I was really able to take a lot away from this with the discussion directly after the test. I felt as though I did sub par and was able to instantly get feedback from, in my opinion, the best coach in the game. This made me happy.

Task 2:
3 Sets @ 100%
250m Row
7 Burpee
10 KB Swing 53#
7 Burpee
10 KB Swing 53#
7 Burpee
250m Row
Rest 15 min

  This was a fast turn-over, glycolitic interval tester. It hurt. If you have done at quick "Fran" you know what I'm talking about, only with less time to breathe. This was again followed with a discussion on how we use lactate as a fuel source and why this is important to compete. The best in the game don't have to "go there" often but need to be able to from time to time when necessary while being able to continue at a high level for multiple tasks (Example: CrossFit Games). My numbers came out pretty solid for a guy my size. Set 1@3:04, 2@3:14 and 3@3:16 and I was pretty smoked. If you are going to try this out then get your mind right for the 2nd set of Burpees every round. They suck.

  All in all I took a metric-shit-ton of great information away from this and I can't wait to apply it to my training and anyone else's who want to go there. At the end of the day, it's all about learning and improving yourself as much as possible with the opportunities given. This is one of the weekends that makes me grateful to be able to do what I do and be surrounded with amazing people day in and day out.

  I also want to give a shout of to two of my favorite athletes and people in the CrossFit world. Jayci Cormier and Bri Franklin have been killing it all weekend (which is no surprise since they kick ass at everything, including life).

  More to come tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. looking forward to the next days post.

    ReplyDelete